0

Yolo Yabu!

Posted by adp on 1:02 AM in
I am at a food binge this week.  One day I ate a Mcdo full meal, make that large fries, iced coffee, cheeseburger and caramel sundae.  A little after Dunkin bunwich (just because I miss it), doughnut (I can't resist!) and hot chocolate. Then there was siomai, tapa, eggplant omellete and sisig for dinner!  Yes I ate all.  The only thing I let pass was guinatan bilo-bilo, which is really all I'm supposed to eat that afternoon because my mom knew it is a favorite.  She never knew I chose to bingefest over her thoughtfulness.

I went out Wednesday to do some errands.  Since it was near where my sister work, I txted her so we could go home together.  But since we cannot agree on who goes where, we decided to meet-up on a nearby mall.  It took her ages to arrive, actually mass had ended way before she came.  Hence, it was dinner so I convinced her to eat first.  Lo and behold in front of us was Yabu.  I've always wanted to try out the best katsu place in town, as was claimed by its patronage.  I guess then was my chance..so there we dine.

As per info on their website, they only have 1 branch : Megamall.  I am not sure though cause I've heard too much of this place, there must be one in Makati.  They occupy a huge space in the Atrium, but during its initial hype there was a waiting list!  Imagine that, definitely a craze.  When we went it was weekday dinner, the place had a lot of patrons but a lot of tables are still available.  It was our first time to dine there, maybe it was quite obvious to the staff because they were extremely gracious and helpful.  I like Japanese restaurants, the sole thing I order though is Gyudon because I love Gyudon.  So first thing I look for was 'gyu' (beef), there was none.  Of course it was a Katsu house!

Actually katsu is a shortcut of katsuresu which means 'cutlet'.  Nothing at all to do with having no beef in the menu.  In fact katsudon dish originated when Japan started opening its doors to Western culture.  Hence katsudon was originally beef cutlet.  But pork was way better as katsu so that it became what it was known for.  It was not all pork katsu in the menu though, they do have chicken and seafood.  Yabu prides itself to having a master katsu chef for a consultant, Chef Takeda of Japan.  This better be good.

So what did we order?

We started with appetizers.  Not customary but we can't resist to taste the tofu and potato salad which where on different sets.  But they indulged us and paired them instead. Yey!
Verdict: Tofu was yum, potato salad had literally chunks of egg and potato; that's it.  Nothing too different.

I ordered Rosu katsudon.  Rosu is pork with fat, Hire was tenderloin pork.  I am not health conscious obviously.  My dish was yummy.  This can take the pedestal from my beloved gyudon!

My sister opted for Chicken and Seafood Katsu set.  The chicken was really, really tender.  Never ever have I tasted chicken that soft.  It was also yummy.  The prawn was ordinary, squid was nicely cooked too, the oyster was weird.  Note though that we don't fancy oysters, only the fresh ones.  Obviously serving was huge we were able to share!  It was actually more than enough.  I felt guilty I wasted a bowl of miso soup (which I really don't like) and the cabbage salad.  The dressing was so good I wanted to eat more but there's no more place to put it.  Cabbage and rice was unlimited.  I ordered house iced tea and it was as well yummy.

My katsu experience was great I definitely would bring friends to try it out.  Price was a little steep than usual  but actually I think at par with specialty restaurants of the like.  It was worth it anyways in my opinion.

We went home so full, any other food we see was unappealing.  Haha.

Next stop: the Vikings buffet.

Bingefest! And I think it's appropriate to say YOLO!

credits:
http://www.yabuhouseofkatsu.com/
ManilaShopper.com

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 really now, what could be prettier than PINK? All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.